Moving home can seem like a mammoth undertaking, but if you follow this step-by-step checklist, you may find it a whole lot easier...
Before the move...
- Look for and book a moving company. Or, if moving yourself, shop for and book a rental truck.
- Prepare an inventory of everything you will be taking with you.
- Have a big clean up and throw out. Organise a garage sale, give away to friends, sell your items online or donate to charity.
- If relocating long distance, give notice at your job and/or schools.
- Also, if moving long distance, book travel arrangements.
- Confirm new school and childcare places if they have been pre-arranged. If not, explore the options and apply for places.
- Talk your children about the move.
- Compile the contact details of friends and colleagues.
- Let the relevant people and organisations know you are moving.
- Investigate local health facilities and sporting and social clubs in your new area.
- Organise a farewell party (or delegate it to family or a good friend!).
- Give notice to your landlord or agent.
- Organise boxes and packing materials.
- Start using all food items in the freezer.
- If possible, visit your new home and start getting familiar with the local area.
- Check your insurance to make sure your goods will be covered during the move.
- Get packing! Have a plan and do one room at a time, leaving just the essentials out until the last week.
- Check on how best to move pets and plants.
- Keep important documents, receipts, bank statements and final bills in one place.
- Organise new homes for plants that won’t be going with you.
- Arrange utility disconnections and reconnections.
- Organise to have your mail redirected with New Zealand Post.
- Arrange to have the carpets professionally cleaned just before you move out.
- If necessary, organise a babysitter for the day of the move.
- Clean and defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Back up your computer files before your equipment is packed away.
- Prepare the stereo, DVD player and white goods for packing.
- Collect dry cleaning and return videos, library books and any borrowed items.
- Cancel any deliveries (e.g. of newspapers, milk and groceries) – and organise them to start up at your new home.
- Arrange an inspection with the landlord or agent so that your bond can be released.
- Collect the keys for your new home.
On the big day itself...
- If moving yourself, collect the rental truck on time.
- If using a moving company, make sure the driver has the correct details of your mobile number and new address.
- Dispose of food, empty bins and leave the place neat and tidy.
- Check that all items included in your Tenancy Agreement are intact.
- Check that nothing belonging to you has been left behind.
- Make sure you have valuables, essential items, food (e.g. sandwiches and snacks) and drinks with you.
- Read meters so that you won’t be overcharged on any utility bills.
- Leave a note with your contact details for the new tenants.
- Make sure that the property is secure and that the lights, hot water system, gas meter and electricity switchboard are turned off.
- Leave the keys with the appropriate person or agency.
At your new home...
- Double-check that everything in the property is in order and meets the terms of your new Tenancy Agreement if renting, or purchase contract if you have bought your new home.
- Check that the electricity, gas, hot water and telephone connections have been switched on.
- As you begin the unpacking process, check for damage or missing items.
- Introduce yourself to the neighbours and get acquainted with the new neighbourhood.
- And finally, but certainly not least... start adding personal touches and organise a housewarming so that your new home really feels like yours!